[Wylug-help] 2 way sync over network

Chris Davies MBCS chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Tue Mar 6 10:47:26 UTC 2012

On 03/03/12 14:04, linux at sh2515.plus.com wrote:
> Unison /home/user/pictures ssh://user@ipaddress//home/user/pictures

If /home/user is your home directory, and user is the same on both
sides, try this instead -

    $ unison pictures ssh://ip.add.re.ss/pictures

The update is bidirectional regardless of which end makes the
connection. So you can run this either on the laptop, the desktop, or
both (but obviously(?) not at the same time). In the scenario where I
tried this at home just now, I had ssh configured not to ask for a
password, but rather to use a pre-configured public/private certificate
pair. It appears to work just find if ssh does prompt for a password,
though.

> All I get then is connecting to server. Nothing else

What output do you get from running this command? (Specifically I'm
interested in seeing whether there is *anything* output other than the
result of the date command itself.)

    $ ssh ip.add.re.ss date

> If I do it from command line it auto goes to default unison so I end
> up with 4 place to sync with the error expected 2 but have 4 locations.

I don't understand what you're saying, here. I've given you a
command-line instruction to try at the top of the email, which is pretty
much the same as you gave in your earlier email. It works but it doesn't
work? I must be missing something.

Chris