[Wylug-help] BT (ADSL?) connection instead of cable ... or not.

John Craven jc at ukzone.com
Sat Mar 24 10:35:09 UTC 2012

Hi Roger...

On 24/03/2012 01:17, Roger wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 23/03/2012 11:05, John Craven wrote:
>> Hi Roger...
>>
>> I don't quite understand your problem. As far as I know you can run a
>> linux server on any ADSL connection.
>> What support do you need ???
>
> Basically, I've never used ADSL, so don't know/likely won't recognise
> any problems that may come up, if they do...

ADSL is the same as CABLE but it uses the telephone line instead of a
direct line link.

>> Any support that I need I get from googling the problem. I have been
>> doing this for around 6 years.
>
> I do that too, but if I don't know what the problem actually is, then
> Googling for "it doesn't work" seems unlikely to be useful...   ;^)
>
>> I use ZEN Internet. It costs me just over £25.00 per month (incl VAT)
>> and I get 8 IP numbers (5 useable). I run 2 servers and 2 name servers
>> and I have a spare IP number for testing purposes.
>
> You do much more even than I ever did.  All I need now is for
> fetchmail (rather than an email client) to be able to pick up my
> email, so it can pass mail onto Dovecot so my clients can read it
> locally.

I use Sendmail which is OK for me. It uses IMAP and Dovecot. I host
around 100 email acounts.
However if you want to use Fetchmail you just set it up yourself on your
own server.

> Since I no longer serve anything over the Internet, a static IP isn't,
> I think, necessary, except perhaps being able to run my own SMTP
> server, instead of having to rely on the ISP's.

The extra ip numbers are free so it is up to you if you ask for them.

> However, it would also be good to be able to retain my email address,
> which uses a domain set up by ntl:Business.

You may need to retain a CABLE connection. You can ask about this

>> I have never needed to use them for linux support. I find linuxquestions
>> more that adequate.
>
> The support I think I might need is administrative rather than
> technical (as you say, tech stuff is on the Web), but that depends on
> support people understanding the questions I might need to ask.  If
> they don't know what fetchmail is

They will know what Fetchmail is !!! Ask them...
Their support number is: 0845 058 9000

If you don't use a lot of bandwidth there is a cheaper option for £18.37
per month

hth

John C

>> hth
>>
>> John C
>>

>> On 23/03/2012 00:25, Roger wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The background ...
>>>
>>> For ages, I've been on Cable for my LAN's internet connection: first
>>> Bradford Cable, then Yorkshire Cable, then Virgin.  At that time, the
>>> Virgin Home service wasn't adequate for my needs - I was serving a
>>> number of websites from my server - so I changed to ntl Business as my
>>> ISP.
>>>
>>> All too soon, Virgin took over ntl, so since then I've been paying for
>>> the Virgin Business service.
>>>
>>> For technical, rather than commercial, reasons (I couldn't fix the
>>> problems cause by IANA's most recent IP table changes) I no longer
>>> serve websites (though I keep Apache running to serve my intra-net).
>>> That means I don't need that level of service, while retirement means
>>> that the cost (~£40 per month) really isn't justified...
>>>
>>> The question ...
>>>
>>> One option I looked at seriously was the Post Office's phone+broadband
>>> package (half the price).  However, their website only offers support
>>> for Windows and Apple machines, while I want to keep running my Linux
>>> server.
>>>
>>> Since I have a cable connection, their website couldn't cope and when
>>> I rang their 0800 number, they told me I'd have to have my cable
>>> connection removed and replaced by a BT line.
>>>
>>> As a first reaction, I told them I wasn't interested and hung up.  I
>>> know how to handle a cable connection with my Linux server, but
>>> handling a BT, presumably ADSL, connection, to my Linux server (when
>>> they don't say they support Linux) freaked me out.  Where would I get
>>> the advice I'd need to cope?
>>>
>>> Is anyone here able to provide such advice (how to handle a BT ADSL
>>> connection), or to suggest an alternative Linux-friendly, cable ISP -
>>> at a lower cost than I'm paying now?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Roger

>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>

>>> Text inserted by Panda IS 2012:
>>>
>>> This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited
>>> mail (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it:
>>> http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_28259&SPAM=true&path=C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Internet%20Security%202012\AntiSpam

> Text inserted by Panda IS 2012:
>
> This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited
> mail (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it:
> http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_28911&SPAM=true&path=C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Panda%20Security\Panda%20Internet%20Security%202012\AntiSpam

   Check out our British Country Music Web Sites

         http://www.countrymusic.org.uk
         http://www.bcmi-radio.co.uk

   Over 300,000 visitors a week