[Wylug-help] Rsync to NAS

Chris Davies MBCS chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Wed May 23 18:31:28 UTC 2012

On 21/05/12 19:25, Anne Wilson wrote:
> I've just installed a Qnap NAS box, and I'm struggling a bit because I
> don't always understand what the wizard is asking me for.  In this
> case, it is -
>
> Allow remote Rsync server to back up data to NAS
> User name: rsync
> Password:
>
> Where does this password get configured?  Somehow it has to be known
> by both the NAS box and the remote box, but I've only ever used rsync
> on local accounts (my network rsync attempts failed miserably).

By default, the QNAP rsync/rsnapshot stuff seems to use the rsync
transport itself (i.e. not rsync over ssh). The username is rsync and
the password on some QNAP devices I've recently come across appears to
be empty. On your remote server (the one to be backed up) this is
defined in /et/rsyncd.conf.

I must admit that I've only recently come across QNAP devices, and I've
been loathe to change the configuration that works until I understand
more about its capabilities. FWIW it works quite nicely with Windows
systems running DeltaCopy, but I don't have a Linux system for it to backup.

Hope this helps.
Chris