[Wylug-help] Mobile broadband

roger roger at roger-beaumont.co.uk
Tue Oct 1 00:56:41 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Having retired, I'm planning to buy a narrow boat and to spend a couple
of years cruising the inland waterways.  However, I need to remain
connected!

Google searches suggest either a "3G data only dongle" or using a mobile
phone to create "a 3G hotspot" (whatever that might be). There's also a
firm offering a 500 quid marine water proof 'solution' that still needs
a 3G data-only SIM.

Keeping in mind that I'll be cruising inside a steel hull with
relatively small windows, on which rain will inevitably fall, does
anyone know practical details of how I can stay on-line.

Cost is, of course, a factor, but when the boat will cost 33k, *almost*
any cost will be in proportion.  I'm still a tyke, so unnecessary
expense is still to be avoided.

Incidentally, can anyone recommend a network monitoring tool that is
Fedora compatible, so I can measure my current (land based) usage and
select an appropriate contract?

Thanks in advance,

Roger