[Wylug-help] despirate help needed - Samba and security = share

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 09:22:06 UTC 2015

I've managed to stablise the old server and that is now running (reasonably)
happily again.  One of the main things that I fixed was the Bacula backup
process which failed for I have no idea why. Anyway it's working again.

I've not installed a Centos 7 system to have a play with as I've only used
Centos (6.2) once before and even then I couldn't get it to do what I wanted.

I'm now torn between your suggestion and biting the bullett and re-designing
the whole Samba setup.  One of the concerns I have with doing what you say is
that I've already had a go with a new install Fedora 17 setup which had a
version of Samba old enough to have "security = share" enabled but I still
could not get Windows PCs to connect to it.

For this reason I suspect that other aspects of the setup are affecting Samba,
e.g. SeLinux. If this is the case, then compiling from source may also not
work on this box.

I'll keep everyone informed, but it may take a while because as usual,
stablising this problem has moved it's ranking in my priorities :-)