[Wylug-help] Extending wifi on a powerline network

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 16:05:09 UTC 2015

I'm having huge problems getting this to work.  This is the situation at
present:

Hardware:  (Router) Netgear Nighthawk D7000 > TL-WPA4230P Passthrough
Powerline WiFi Extender.

Existing powerline network is working fine.

Addresses reserved on router for wifi extender:
102.168.0.252 MAC C4:E9-84-B8-F8-9D - said to be Powerline MAC and
102.168.0.253 MAC C4:E9-84-B8-F8-9C  - said to be Wlan MAC
 - not being used.  DHCP getting random addresses.

The TP-Link utility software (running on this laptop across the
powerline network) sees the -9D, and I can connect to that (albeit the
random address) enabling configuration.  The Wlan MAC doesn't appear on
the list of devices - should it?  The dhcp address changes frequently,
so I lose connection while I'm still trying to check settings.

I'm obviously missing a jigsaw piece or two  Can anyone suggest a
troubleshooting scheme, please?