[YLUG] Meeting - 15/08/06 - CityScreens (York)

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Wed Aug 9 11:15:20 BST 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 10:45:11AM +0100, Alex Smith wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Meeting at City Screens 7pm.
Which is the centre of town cinema, here:
<http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=YO1+9QL&ie=UTF8&om=1>

> General social and whatnot,
The CS has most of the requested attributes; it's bar is almost all
non-smoking, and very non smokey, has decent ale (York Brewery Guzzler,
mmmm), not to mention a fair range of whiskys, is close to bus/bike/train
links. The only catch is that we might lurk around a bit before we can
grab a decent table. If everyone wears geeky T-shirts or the like we
should be able to hook up easily enough. I shall try to bring the large
cuddly penguin too.

> with, hopefully, specific discussion of what'll be happening at the

My contribution of that is that this time we install Dapper, not the
then newly released Edgy. Not only is it longer supported, but it means
we can get out automatic install scripts tweaked and not have them break
at the last minute.

Also - we should write 'You need to repartition your own disk' on all
the publicity, in Chinese :-/

> Bring along your geekery.

There is also a an as yet vague thought of catching Pirates of the
Carribean which the City Screen are showing on their shiny new digital
light processor system rather than with conventional film. Only catch is
that the latest showing only starts at 8:30, which doesn't leave much
meeting time. If anyone's interested in that it might make more sense to
do it on either the Monday or the Wednesday either side of the meeting.

Ewan

--
Other ways to find me:
Jabber: ewan (at) jabber.org.uk   |  MSN: ewanmacmahon (at) hotmail.co.uk