[YLUG] Linux stickers

Pete Fenelon pete at fenelon.com
Wed Aug 9 17:23:40 BST 2006

> Still, it's an amusing read. If I read 'Mad Scientist and CEO Harlan
> 'Tytus'
> Beverly' again it'll be too soon though.
>
> It sort of reminds be about the hype about Van Jacobson's ideas for
> moving processing of network packets further up the stack. It's starting
> to look like once you add back in all the routing/firewall stuff that
> the kernel currently does, the speed win goes away. That wasn't obvious
> in advnace though.

The solution's obviously a microkernel with user level *everything*
(c) Andy Tanenbaum ;P

It seems that network processors are another instance of the "wheel of
reincarnation" identified 30-odd years ago by Ivan Sutherland but in
the graphics domain - start off doing something in the main CPU, spin
off a special-purpose blob of hardware for it when you realise it's
taking a lot of processor, realise that your new hardware's grown to
the point where it's a proper CPU in its own right with a distinct
instruction set, homogenise by just going to a multi-CPU (or single
more powerful CPU) system and spin that functionality back in.... ad
nauseam.

pete
--
pete at fenelon.com "There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"