[YLUG] Ati drivers and Suse 10.1

fis100 at york.ac.uk fis100 at york.ac.uk
Thu Aug 10 09:36:16 BST 2006

Hi Everybody,

First post as well, I have also been interested in linux for a while, but
as a beginner have always been put off by the complexity of configuring
latest hardware in Linux. Two years ago I got the ATI Radeon 9600 Pro , and
have been strugling since then to make them work on linux, using the
ati-driver which is patheticly appaling. I have tried reading guides on
installing linux written on various websites but to no avail... Enoguh of
my ramblings, on to the problem:

My System Specs are:

AMD Athlon XP 2400
ATI Radeon 9600 PRO (256 MB On board RAM, AGP 8x )
768MB RAM
Gigabyte 7VA-X MB (Dual Bios , Phoenix and Award)

Running Suse 10.1 (Kernel 2.6.x cant remember what subversion is and I am
writing from my office as I dont have internet at home )

Here is what I try to do when installing:

1. Generate rpm for suse 10.1 2. install rpm with -ihv (also tried -uhv) 3.
add /usr/lib/fglrx in ld.so.conf and then do ldconfig 4. add /dev/shm
/dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0 in /etc/fstab 5. configure using aticonfig
-–initial –-input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf 6. check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf to
make sure that there is Load drm, dri and Section Video and that the driver
being used is fglrx 7. Also tried another variant using sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

I have tried all of these steps sometimes in order and in various other
combinations by leaving out say e.g. /dev/shm

Whenever I try and use the driver and check using fglrxinfo and glxinfo it
tells me that I am using fglrx and even in kde the video driverinfo says
radeon(3d support) which apparently means that the driver is configured,
but the moment I try and run glxgears or fgl_glxgers or any application
which uses 3d for that matter the computer hangs, the keyboard doesnt work
(i.e. doesnt accept any input) and I forced to hard reset...

I have tried searching a lot on the net and am tired, need help now,
please...

Thanks

Fahad