[YLUG] Free stuff

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Sun Aug 27 14:52:43 BST 2006

Hi folks,

I'm clearing out some older computing stuff, and thought I'd offer it
to any YLUGers who might be interested in it.  It's all free, and if
no one wants it it will likely go straight in the bin.  If you'd like
any of it, let me know and you can either pick it up, or I'll bring it
along on Tuesday.

Zip drive and media
-------------------

  250 MB Iomega Zip drive (ATAPI/IDE)

  On any modern Linux system, the drive is just "plug and play", with
  the ide-floppy driver being loaded automatically.

  6 250 MB discs
  6 100 MB discs

  All the discs have been verified to work with badblocks and have
  been formatted as ext2 for use with Linux.

5¼″ floppy drive and media
--------------------------

  5¼″ DS DD disc drive (360 KiB)
  5¼″ DS QD disc drive (1.2 MiB)

  Both work fine with Linux using the native capacity or the (non-DOS)
  extended formats (420 KiB and 1.44 MiB respectively) supported by
  Linux.  On Linux, it's nice to use with the extended formats and
  minixfs.  Note that you can't write DD floppies in the QD drive if
  you want to read them in a DD drive again.  Both drives can be
  installed at once in a system, or work with an existing 3½″ drive.

  The discs are a variety of blank and software-containing discs.

  20 DS DD blank discs
   7 DS HD blank discs
  70 discs with programs on them (but are reformattable if they are
     not of interest)

  Being from the era (c. 1990) when floppy discs and drives were made
  to be reliable, everything is still in perfect working order (both
  drives have heavy thick aluminium castings and are pretty
  indestructable).  They might even be collector's items in a few
  years :) All the discs I checked (nearly all of them) were verified
  to be error free.

  Most of the software will run fine under DOSEMU on Linux.  It's of
  historical interest if late 1980's/early 1990's DOS software is
  nostalgic for you :) Now even DR-GEM is GPL, so you can run the GEM
  applications on the more modern FreeGEM/OpenGEM under FreeDOS.  Most
  of the others will also run under FreeDOS.

  Commericial software:
    Ashton-Tate First Framework
    DR-GEM 2 environment and applications
    Lemmings (also on 3½″)
    LocoScript
    MS-DOS 3.2
    Open University T102 course discs (GEM)
    PFS: First Publisher (also on 3½″)
    Timeworks Publisher Lite (GEM)
    Titus the Fox

  Shareware/Freeware:
    Arctic Adventure
    Captain Comic
    Commander Keen 1
    Commander Keen 6
    Crystal Caves
    Dangerous Dave
    Duke Nukem
    Envision Publisher
    Jill of the Jungle
    Moraff's World
    Pharoh's Tomb

  There is also a pile of other stuff on magazine cover discs I won't
  mention here.

Also available
--------------

3½″ floppy drive (standard PC type)
90×90×25 mm case fan (Thermaltake)
Digital PC gamepad (plugs into soundcard, Linux supported)

9-pin EPSON-FX-compatible dot matrix printer [80 col] and a
wide-carriage [132 col] OKI 9-pin dot matrix printer.  Both of these
also work fine under Linux for plain text printing (I once wrote a
ditroff driver for them for fancy formatting, though it's no longer
available).  I don't have these with me right now, but if anyone is
interested in either of these, you can have them within the month.
Both have a couple of spare ribbons, and consumables are still
available for both (the OKI is still available new, at a cost of
~£1000!).

Regards,
Roger

--