[YLUG] LVM Woes

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Mon Jul 10 12:35:48 BST 2006

"Pete Fenelon" <pete at fenelon.com> writes:

> Situation: we have a Fedora Core 3 box which is, as usual for Fedora,
> partitioned with an LVM group occupying most of its disc as
> VolGroup00.
>
> Problem: we have another disc with a load of legacy data on it, that
> is curdled kernel-wise to the point that nothing can boot off it but
> is logically intact. It is, as you will have guessed, another LVM that
> called itself VolGroup00 on its original machine.

I have seen this several times.  It is quite annoying.

> We have tried following the instructions in
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8874 for reconstituting it as
> VolGroup01 but when it comes to the 'vgchange VolGroup01 -a y' we get
>
> 0 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup01" now active
>
> instead of the 1 we should be seeing.

The method at that website is rather drastic, and potentially
dangerous.  It's far simpler to rename the VG on your system, and then
the other disc will just plug in and work.

This is one reason why it's a good idea to use VG names based on the
system hostname (for example), rather than generic names.  The
RedHat/FC installer doesn't do anyone any favours by defaulting to
"VolGroup00".

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh
   `-    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848   Please sign and encrypt your mail.