[YLUG] FS: 2GB Sandisk SD card & O2 XDA Exec phone

Matthew Bloch matthew at bytemark.co.uk
Tue Jul 11 12:23:26 BST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 11:31, simon at principia.demon.co.uk wrote:
> matthew at bytemark.co.uk wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 July 2006 10:01, Ashish Doshi wrote:
> > > Hi Matthew,
> > >
> > > What would consider to be a reasonable offer on the XDA?
> >
> > Anything over about =A3200?
>
>   They're listed at 150 on the O2 website, admittedly before factoring in
> the cost of an appropriate tariff. Make of that what you will ...

Yes, if you can match the phone to a particular tariff that you want, the=20
phone network will give you a better price.  However when doing price=20
comparisons for tariffs / handsets you should always look up the "real" cos=
t=20
of the phone, and factor in how much of your tariff is actually subsidising=
=20
the handset purchase.

e.g. when me and my co-director last changed tariff, I actually orders *two=
*=20
more of these brutes (T-Mobile call them the "MDA Pro") where they=20
were "only" =C2=A3100 on a =C2=A340 / month tariff.  Sold them on immediate=
ly for=20
nearly =C2=A3300 each, and bought my preferred handset unlocked instead (No=
kia=20
E61).

So there are a set of circumstances where buying a 2nd-hand handset for "fu=
ll=20
price" makes sense: e.g. when you want a cheap tariff but an expensive=20
handset, or the handset is new / obscure enough that no networks offer it=20
subsidised.  But if you're already used to paying through the nose for a=20
tariff, wait until your contract is up and demand a new subsidsed handset=20
from your network, it'll be far cheaper!

Mobile phone contract economics is all about fooling customers' sense of=20
value-- witness the "free" PSPs / widescreen tellies that you can pick up=20
with contracts in the centre of town.  The Finns have outlawed contract &=20
phone bundling which some people cheer, but personally I like the economic=
=20
opportunities created by taking advantage of badly thought-out bundles :-)

=2D-=20
Matthew Bloch                             Bytemark Hosting
                                http://www.bytemark.co.uk/
                phone UK: 0845 004 3 004 US: 1-877 BYTEMAR
          Dedicated Linux hosts from 15ukp ($26) per month