[YLUG] Spreadsheets in Python?

Simon Ward simon at principia.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 23 20:57:38 BST 2006

Arthur Clune wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2006, at 17:18, Simon Ward wrote:
>
>>  You've missed the point by a long, long way
>
> Tactful as ever Simon.
   Sorry - the heat is making me crankier than usual.

> Prehaps if you explain which bits of spreadsheet functionality you want
> we could help? Is it the input functionality you want rather than the
> calculation side of things?
   Input/modification functionality is the key right now.
   We have a bunch of data files which contain CSV data - nothing fancy,
one set of parameters per line, each line contains three values which
are comma separated.

   What we're looking for is a tidy way of:

a) reading in this data and displaying it in an Excel-like way (ie.
    three columns) - each value would be in its own 'cell'
b) allow the user move between cells, by tabbing or otherwise, to modify
    values. Modification here means either 'adding extra lines of data',
    'deleting spurious lines of data' or 'modifying single values'
c) once the mods are finished, the user should be able to save the data
    to a file.

As I mentioned previously, we have an interim solution but it is
horrible and slow and I'd rather avoid using something heavyweight like
Gnumeric if I can avoid it *unless* there's away of allowing a regular
Python interpreter to access Gnumeric's modules in order to open a
workbook, load data etc. If there is such a way, I've yet to find it.

Simon