[YLUG] Practical LVM

Ewan Mac Mahon ewan at macmahon.me.uk
Sat Jul 29 12:23:37 BST 2006

Morning all,

Thanks to a recent encounter with a randomly data corrupting Asus A7V
motherboard I'm probably looking at doing a clean install on my main
system in the nearish future. It's currently set up with two disks, each
partitioned identically, each pair of partitions forming a md software
raid array.

I'm thinking of doing the reinstall by dropping one disk out of the
raids, setting up a new system on it, then having the raid sync
everything to the other disk when it's all done; this gives me an
opportunity to go all LVM, but how?

- md RAID the two disks and have LVM on top of the md device?
- Do the raid with LVM (is that even possible?)?
- What file system? There's not much point in resizable 'partitions'
  without resizable contents.
- Is it even worth it? I've mostly happy with static partitions, and
  don't tend to be installing/removing lots of chrooted distros.

Ewan

--
Other ways to find me:
Jabber: ewan (at) jabber.org.uk   |  MSN: ewanmacmahon (at) hotmail.co.uk