[YLUG] Server purchase

Richard G. Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 19 11:43:00 BST 2006

simon at principia.demon.co.uk wrote:
> richard at richardclegg.org wrote:
>
>> I wonder if I could get the advice of the massed ranks of the group
>> for two things here.  I'm trying to get a high-availability server
>> going within the dept of Mathematics here at York.

> A set consisting of master + 4 slaves cost us around 20 grand, but
> reducing the size of the disks and cutting back the RAM will bring
> the price down considerably. HP's support is pretty good as well - we
> had a failure on one of our development machines and they had someone
> out to fix the problem within a few hours.

Thanks for the advice.  That price is a bit frightening though.  I was
hoping for something much cheaper which is one of the reasons I was
asking about whether the SCSI disks were really a necessity for RAID.
It seems that as soon as you put SCSI on something the price becomes a
bit terrifying.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Networks & NonLinear Dynamics Group,