[YLUG] Server purchase

Robert Hulme rob at robhulme.com
Fri May 19 12:07:24 BST 2006

> > 1) Some kind and lovely person from a different dept is going to
> > buy us a shiny new server and I've no real idea what I am looking for.
> We use the new Sun Opteron servers. A single opteron 1U box is very
> cheap (about 6-700 quid). Goes like stink as well.
The Sun Opteron boxes are very attractive as I assume they are of high
build quality and of a low price.

If you want more CPU power than the entry level opteron boxes they
become a lot more expensive than speccing it up yourself. The entry
level 1U boxes only have 2 disk bays as well AFAIK.

If you want cheap boxes then I would recommend a rack mount case from
xcase (http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Rackmount_and_Server_Cases.html).
In terms of CPU power if you go the opteron route you have to use ECC
RAM which is a lot more expensive (but also more realiable!), but the
X2 line of Athlon64's are effectively dual core versions of the same
chip (so much more CPU power), are a lot cheaper (clock for clock),
don't require expensive (where expensive in these terms is > £100)
motherboards, andcan use normal RAM.

OTOH you might want a nice ECC Opteron box. Personally in these
situations I've gone with Tyan for motherboard and the dual core
opterons with ECC RAM. A lot more expensive but then it depends what
you want it for, what your budget is, and how you want to optimise for
that.
"98.5% of DNA is considered to be junk DNA with no known purpose.
Maybe it's XML tags." -- Anon

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Kernighan

http://www.robhulme.com/
http://robhu.livejournal.com/