[YLUG] Server purchase

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Fri May 19 12:08:56 BST 2006

On 19 May 2006, at 11:14, Richard G. Clegg wrote:

> 1) Some kind and lovely person from a different dept is going to
> buy us a shiny new server and I've no real idea what I am looking for.

We use the new Sun Opteron servers. A single opteron 1U box is very
cheap (about 6-700 quid). Goes like stink as well.

>  I've had a brief scout and the hardware RAID I could see involved
> stupidly expensive SCSI disks -- is this unavoidable?

You could go SATA instead.

> 2) The idea at the moment seems to be to have two machines, a main
> machine and a backup and to use a virtual IP address, IP chains and
> heartbeat to get the machines to switch over on failure.

UltraMonkey is what you want for this bit of it. http://
www.ultramonkey.org

Thing is, what are you covering yourself against here? You have two
different ways of ensuring redundancy and seem to want both.

Option 1) Reliable servers: mirror'd raid, dual psu etc etc.
Option 2) Shonky servers but load balanced.

There's another option; put the db on a single reliable server class
machine and run the web stuff on some shonky hardware but load
balance it (this assumes your app will work in this setup of course).
For dr purposes you should replicate the db onto something else, but
that can be cheap as well since it'd only be used in extremis.

UPS for the db server + one of the web servers and you'd be good to
go. It wouldn't be totally 100%, but it'd cover most eventualities
(the main failure mode would be a power cut if you were running on
the non-ups'd web server only). Adding a bit more ups would solve
that, and it's something that could be done either now or later.

Arthur

--
He's a stranger to freedom
He's shackled to his fears and doubts