[YLUG] Server purchase

Richard Clegg richard at richardclegg.org
Fri May 19 12:39:02 BST 2006

Robert Hulme wrote:
> Perhaps a problem here is that HA solutions can go up to the hundreds
> of thousands bracket quite easily (for instance no one yet has started
> talking about using a SAN...) depending on how 'high' you need the
> availability to be :-)
>
> As with most things there is an exponential increase in cost as you
> want those extra 9's in your uptime.
>
> If you gave us an idea of the budget and usage of the system maybe we
> could be more specifically helpful?

Sure -- in my original email I said that SCSI disks were already
painfully expensive for the budget I'm thinking of which should give you
a good idea of the tight financial constraints.  While nobody has been
specific with me (people so seldom are with these things), I'm guessing
that anything above 2,000 would cause shrieks of pain.

System usage, I don't have specific figures but previously we've been
running it on ordinary desktop machines and after I tweaked the apache
settings there was no complaints.  I don't need a ninja machine here but
I do want something which will plod along reliably.

--
Richard G. Clegg,
Networks & NonLinear Dynamics Group,