[YLUG] Benchmarking on linux

John Spray spray at lyx.org
Fri May 19 14:45:47 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 12:39 +0100, chris jefferson wrote:
> I have a program I'd like to benchmark, for the obvious reason that I
> want to come if future changes slow down or speed up the program.
          ^^^^

It's one way of dealing with it.

</childish sniggering>

Anyway, wrt speed testing I suggest you make sure you're using CPU time
not wall time, running for a decent length of time, and then do whatever
you're doing 10 times and work out the standard error, automating the
averaging and errors so that you don't have human error in assessing
whether your number is reliable or not.

John