[YLUG] Server purchase

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Sat May 20 14:32:42 BST 2006

On 20 May 2006, at 11:55, Richard G. Clegg wrote:

> I'm torn on this subject.  However, there are only two people who
> are capable of restoring the system at the moment and quite often
> we're both away at the same time.

It's tricky, but personally I have a sinking feeling when I hear the
words 'database', 'replication'
and 'failover' all in the same system.

If it was me, I'd go with two servers. Run everything on the big
server-spec one. Replicate to the
spare (cheap desktop if needed) in master->slave configuration. Do
not have auto failover or load
balancing, but have a very well documented and simple process for
swapping them over ("Run this
script as root and unplug the master from the network" should be all
anyone else needs to know).
Then the script would just have to change the IP to that of the main
server and tell mysql it's
now in master mode/no replication/whatever.

Arthur

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Electronic infomation tampers with your mind. Babylon Zoo