[YLUG] Finding the external IP of a linksys router

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Mon May 22 18:49:55 BST 2006

On 22/05/06, Craig Genner <craig at gennerfam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
[snip]
> The following in a script:
>
> curr_ip=`wget -q -O- http://www.whatismyip.com/ | grep "Your IP is " - | cut
> -d" " -f4`
>
> or
>
> curr_ip=`wget -q -O- http://www.gene6.com/ip.php`

That's useful to know, as I'm in the same boat as Stephen with a
couple of dyndns account but only a slot for one in my wireless router
(KCorp KLG-575). Unfortunately the second url isn't much use for ntl
users, as it returns the address of the transparent proxy ntl provide.
Quite a few web sites I've visited do they same, though dyndns.org &
whatismyip.com seem to have no trouble getting through that to the
correct one.

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /