[YLUG] ubuntu-uk forums

Simon Ward simon at principia.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 1 22:20:26 GMT 2006

On Nov 1 2006, Robert Hulme wrote:

> For whatever reasons it is certainly the case that the quality of
> posts on mailing lists seems to be higher than on forums, although I
> accept this is only anecdotal.
   In my experience this is generally the case.

   A rather interesting point that came up during a conversation I had
this afternoon is that the YLUG list is quite unusual in that nearly all
of the topics of conversation are about Linux rather than Something
Else[tm] and we tend not to flame people into BCBs[1] for mentioning
non-Linux topics - witness the fact that there are quite a few FreeBSD
users on the list, and we haven't subjected them to the torch and
pitchfork treatment.

   Generally, I'm not a fan of forums (fora?) - they're basically a
webified version of Usenet and suffer from pretty much the same
problems. I've set plenty up for people, but I rarely use 'em! I used to
use Usenet quite a lot, but I'm better now, really.

Simon

[1] - Burnt Crunchy Bits