[YLUG] ubuntu-uk forums

Nicholas Thomas lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
Fri Nov 3 15:22:03 GMT 2006

On Thursday 02 November 2006 07:28, Grant Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-01 at 22:57 +0000, Robert Hulme wrote:
> > What would be cool would be forum software that also acted as a
> > mailing list. It shouldn't be too hard in principle - when a post is
> > made on the forum send the mailing list people an email and vice
> > versa.
>
> As someone who follows forums for other hobbies, RSS is a pretty good
> solution for this. You can simply get a newsfeed for the whole forum or
> just the bits that you are interested in.
>

> Grant

I've been (on-and-off) working on integrating nntp, web (forums etc), mailing
list and RSS into a single platform - the idea being that people could choose
how to view their messages.

Currently everything's stored as NNTP (using inn2), I have Web-News which acts
as a forum (ish) + RSS feed, and I might one day get round to setting up
mail2news / etc

More likely, I'll go back to basics and write up something from scratch that
uses *SQL for storage, though. Getting everything working together nicely is
proving to be a bit of a pain.

xF,

...Nick