[YLUG] sound

Rachel Cavill rachel.cavill at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 7 09:44:37 GMT 2006

Hi all,
My onboard sound packed in a few months ago and I finally got around to
replacing it with a new soundcard last night.  After a bit of fiddling with
levels, I had sound for about 5 minutes, before clicking on a "load volumes"
button in a gui mixer application.  This killed sound and I've been unable
to resurrect it.

The place where I clicked is found in mandrake under
system/KDE/sound/mixer.  This brings up a diaglog box which only seems to
save/load volume settings from file.  However, the really puzzling thing is
that all the graphical mixing level tools (like aumix and the graphical
volume tool of snackamp) which normally work for adjusting the sound are not
working - they all say that volume is up.

So it looks to me like I've got a file somewhere which is telling it to
mute, which is overriding the volume controls I can see in aumix etc.

Any ideas, how to get sound working again?
Rachel