[YLUG] meeting times

Gaffer derrick_s at tesco.net
Wed Nov 15 00:39:01 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 20:54, richard Inscribed Thus:
> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 18:55, Gaffer wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > On Monday 13 November 2006 22:53, richard Inscribed Thus:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > The subject of meeting times came up when a few people were
> > > chatting in the irc channel this evening. So I thought I'd sound
> > > peoples opinions by a channel everyone should see. It has been
> > > mentioned that by always holding the meetings on a Tuesday some
> > > people can never come because it will clash with something else.
> > > This is going to be true for any night of the week.
> > >
> > > Alex suggested alternating between Tuesdays and Thursdays but
> > > this is inconvenient to remember and isn't very helpful to any
> > > new people who might want to come along and meet us.
> > >
> > > I'd like to suggest that we have the meetings on fixed dates each
> > > month. Say the 7th and 21st for example. Then we could have one
> > > date for talks and one for social. This is easy to remember and
> > > has the advantage that the actual days would change each month so
> > > everybody should be able to come some of the time.
> > >
> > > What are peoples opinions?
> > >
> > > regards,
> > >
> > > Rich
> >
> > What would you propose when these days fall on Sundays as January
> > 2007 and October,  or on Saturdays as in April and July 2007 ?
> >

> Hi Derrick,
>
> Thanks for the response. Basically it depends what people want. I'm
> just fishing for suggestions to try and get a consensus opinion.
> Personally I have no problem with meetings being at weekends if
> that's when the dates fall but I appreciate that may not be the same
> for everybody.
>
> The idea of having the meetings on fixed dates was exactly that the
> day of the week would change. I don't think we'll ever find a day
> that suits everybody. The idea is more that everybody can get to some
> of the meetings which opens it up to more people. The flip side of
> this is that it is unlikely that people will be able to go to every
> meeting. If that means some people can't make it at a weekend so be
> it. It may be the case that having the meetings at a weekend will be
> better for other people. To me that is no different to the current
> situation where some people can't come on a Tuesday. What I was
> aiming for is the idea that all of the people can come to some of the
> meetings. How we achieve this is up for discussion.
>
> If people particularly want to avoid weekends please say so. Then we
> could have some set adjustment for those situations. For example the
> meeting always shifts to the following Monday.
>
> Come on speak up you apathetic bunch :)
>
> Rich

I appreciate your comments !  For me personally it would matter little !  The other half would determine priority on weekends !  My difficulty in getting to meetings, is that its often 6 pm or later before I get home.  By the time I have finished dinner and driven over to York the meeting is almost over.

--
Best Regards:
     Derrick.