[YLUG] Dual xorg.conf

Matthew Burton matburton at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 14:39:26 GMT 2006

Hey people,

I'd just like to say thanks for the install day, since then I've been
using Ubuntu also exclusively and only switch back to windows to get
data from it! I've had a play around with it quite a bit (I'm Linux noob
on the whole) and I've got a things working quite well thanks to google
and the community wiki.

I have quite a strange laptop though, I have two graphics cards. They're
controlled by a switch on the laptop which instructs the BIOS as to
which one to use. So if I want more power (heat, noise and battery drain
lol) I can flip onto my 6600. At the moment I've got my xorg.conf
looking like this:

    Section "Device"
        Identifier    "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express
    Graphics Controller"
        Driver        "i810"
        Option        "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
        VideoRam    131072
        Option        "DRI"        "true"
        BusID        "PCI:0:2:0"
    EndSection

    Section "Device"
        Identifier    "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce Go 6600]"
        Driver        "nvidia"
        BusID        "PCI:3:0:0"
        Option        "NoLogo"
        Option        "RenderAccel"        "true"
        Option        "AllowGLXWithComposite" "true"
    EndSection

    Section "Monitor"
        Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
        Option        "DPMS"
        HorizSync    28-84
        VertRefresh    43-60
    EndSection

    Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Device        "Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express
    Graphics Controller"
    #    Device        "NVIDIA Corporation NV43 [GeForce Go 6600]"
        Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
            Depth        24
            Modes        "1680x1050"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection

At the moment I have to edit xorg.conf every time I want to switch card
by changing the comment bit! And have to remember the one I last used
otherwise I get nothing on screen at all (since the other card is
disabled by the BIOS)!

So my question, is there a way I can make a script or something that
asks me which card I'm using before X starts and changes my xorg.conf
automatically?

Sorry for bombarding you but another quick question! Whats the
difference between Beryl and Compiz, are they worth it, and do they work
with Dapper Drake at the moment? I tried both quickly but had no success.

Anyway thanks for getting me into the world of linux guys, much appreciated!