[YLUG] Dual xorg.conf

Matthew Burton matburton at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Nov 16 15:50:03 GMT 2006

Phillip Jordan wrote:
> On 16/11/06, Stuart Priest <sap1 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
>> If you set your default runlevel to 3 rather than 5 (edit /etc/inittab
>> and change the line that looks like "id:5:initdefault:" to
>> "id:3:initdefault:") then everytime you boot you will enter text mode.
>> Login, and then create two versions of the xorg.conf file, then create
>> two aliases in your login startup files, "start_first" and
>> "start_second".  The aliases should simply copy the appropriate
>> xorg.conf file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then run "startx" which will
>> start your X11 windows.  Hope that's clear.
>
> Working with two xorg.conf files sounds like a good plan, but what does
>
> lspci
>
> output? Is it dependant on the switch? (i.e. does switching actually
> disconnect them from the PCI[e] bus - I suspect so, but you never
> know)
>
> If it's different, you could use that to your advantage with some
> fairly simple scripting: use grep to find out which card is active and
> use the result of that to copy in the correct xorg.conf (or start X
> with the appropriate conf by specifying it explicitly on the X
> server's command line)
>
> phil

Hey,

Thanks for the super fast responses! A quick lspci showed that when
using my i915 there's no trace of the 6600. So I take it then (with a
bit of scripting prowess lol) I could make a script that runs before X
starts and changes xorg.conf to either. xorg.conf.i915 or
xorg.conf.6600? Or do I still need to run the script myself by changing
the run level?

Cheers dudes :-D you know your stuff!