[YLUG] SCART to VGA connectors?

Paul Gibbs paul-listmonkey at pacem.plus.com
Tue Oct 10 14:24:11 BST 2006

Simon Ward wrote:
> This isn't a Linux problem per se, but I'm guessing that someone on
> here  might be able to help.
>
> Now that I no longer have a TV, I'd like to watch DVDs without having
> to sit in front of the computer to do it. I have a perfectly
> functional DVD player and a 'spare' TFT monitor but am unsure how to
> connect them given that all of the SCART->VGA cables I've seen loudly
> state that they're unsuitable for connection directly to a monitor and
> should go to a projector instead. I'd thought of using one of the
> console-orientated VGA boxen but none of them have SCART input (even
> Lik-Sang drew a blank :-( )

Hurrah! another fellow with no TV.
Personally I just use a (linux [staying on topic]) laptop for watching
the occasional DVD. However a little googling reveals:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=45227&C=GKW&U=Promotion&T=vga%20adaptor&gclid=CI7G19LI7ocCFSZyQgodNif40g
http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3257

Also, Maplin do a DVD player that has VGA output and many other features :-)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=DVD%20player&doy=10m10&source=15

Looking at http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/pc/012/ (yes I know
it's the wrong way around) would suggest there is no simple connection
solution and that you need some electronics.
> Has anyone here done what I'm trying to do? Buying a new TV isn't an
> option (I have fundamental objections to the TV license) and buying a
> projector certainly isn't (not enough money or wall space :-) )

You could Buy a TV and only use it for DVDs, the licence is to receive
broadcast signals. (I think the licence is great and so is Radio4 which
is free because of it. It's just TV is now pants and has been since I
started uni in '93.)

> TIA,
You're welcome :-)

> Simon