[YLUG] Publicity in general

Jan Tobias Muehlberg muehlber at fh-brandenburg.de
Thu Oct 12 23:09:57 BST 2006

In [1] Robert suggested a nice schedule for future meetings.
Although nobody responded to his question "What do y'all
think?", it seems that we are going to stick to his proposal.
But...

But why is there no publicity at all? The website [2] says nothing
about future meetings except from a friendly "Not yet scheduled".
Not even the Install Day is in there. Why shall we make an
Install Day if nobody is supposed to turn up because nobody knows
about the event? Why shall we (and that affects me personally)
give talks then? I do clearly remember my disappointment at the
"Introduction to Linux"-talk Zoe gave at the last Install Day. It
was a nicely quiet lecture theatre... I can already see that it
will be the same for this year. But I don't want to.

Alex already proposed to use the student newsletters [3], I came
up with the idea of sending short press releases about our events
to the local newspapers [4]. However, nobody ever reacts on such
things. If there is really nobody willing to spend a few hours on
publicity then we could just bin the idea of install days and
talks.

J. Tobias

[1]: e50d039c0609290656s4b642ec8kb9f369e78c5aa407 at mail.gmail.com
[2]: http://york.lug.org.uk/calendar.shtml
[3]: 20060929100254.pr7v9pj9c4qsks0g at webmail.aql.com
[4]: 20061004085415.GA3031 at fh-brandenburg.de

--
"It gets worse. I have, before now, waited for a pen to perform a macro."
                                  -- Terry Pratchett in alt.fan.pratchett