[YLUG] GPG and the law

Phillip Jordan phillip.m.jordan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 11:51:47 BST 2006

On 18/10/06, lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
<lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk> wrote:
> That is rather an... inconvenient? law?
>
> The next step then, of course, is steganography - hiding the fact that the
> encrypted files exist at all. This is where large collections of anime,
> music and teh pr0nz comes in handy, I guess.

Which leads on nicely to the problem of how you determine that
something is encrypted. Good encryption is indistinguishable from
random garbage, so how do you prove that a file is in fact just random
garbage (cat /dev/random > secret) and not an encrypted file for which
you're just refusing to hand out the keys?

~phil