[YLUG] Install practice results

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Sun Oct 22 20:11:34 BST 2006

We did a couple of test installs using the live CD install system.

We used an updated ylug script to install, or attempt to install,
the following packages:

w32codecs totem-xine libdvdcss2 gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly flashplugin-nonfree ndiswrapper-utils ndisgtk

We need to write up two documents.

The install instructions:

- Partitioning
  - Recommend 5Gb space for the install
  - Partitioning and resizing

- OEM options
  - How to activate OEM mode
  - Any other install options on the way into the install
  - Post-install, post-reboot instructions (mostly wget and run the script)

The user guide:
- How to get online on campus
- How to activate repositories and install stuff, with a list of commonly-requested packages
- How to get in touch with YLUG
- Other places to get information

We need a server to sit in the install room:

- one network card for the external connection
  - I need to sort out the authentication for campus network
- one network card for the internal connection
- ftp server for the local packages
- dhcp leasing for internal IP addresses
- DNS relay

We should be able to put hardware together from comprec parts for this,
but the configuration will need some expertise.

Install issues:

- flashplugin-nonfree wants to download the plugin from an external
website.  If we can make the internet work, this won't be a problem.
If not, then we may need some trickery, or simply not install it on
the day.
- to install totem-xine, we have to remove totem-gstreamer.  Does it
make sense to do this?  Removing totem-gstreamer also removes
ubuntu-desktop, which is some weird configuration hack package.
- gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly needs liba52-0.7.4, which complains about
some kind of authentication but installs anyway.

I'll put the install script and sources.list file up somewhere soon.

--
 -- zoe