[YLUG] Install practice results

Arthur Clune arthur at clune.org
Sun Oct 22 22:06:29 BST 2006

On 22 Oct 2006, at 21:46, Robert Hulme wrote:

> Also I think we ought to consider if installing proprietary stuff is a
> good idea at all, in doing so by default aren't we ignoring some of
> the Freedom issues?

You definitely want to offer people the option. First give them a
working
linux system and let them work out a view on free software over time.
For
those that understand the issues and don't want the proprietary stuff,
then don't install it.

You'll lose more friends from 'flash/mp3 doesn't work' than from the
'proprietary stuff has no place in linux' lot. The latter group are
probably capable of doing their own install for starters.

Arthur

Arthur Clune.                    arthur at clune.org
"[Film] only exerts its influence when it stirs patriots up against
other nations, or  taps into agressive, violent urges" - Hayao Miyazaki