[YLUG] Kunbunto

Gaffer derrick_s at tesco.net
Sat Sep 9 16:25:56 BST 2006

Hi Saleh,

On Saturday 09 September 2006 15:39, Saleh Odeh Inscribed Thus:
> On 09/09/06, Gaffer <derrick_s at tesco.net> wrote:
> > Hi Craig & saleh,

> > > sudo kedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > >
> > > or vi, emacs, etc.
> > >
> > > Craig
> >
> > Yes thats what I thought !
> >
> > I tried sudo and get "Command not found" !   So I tried "su" !
> > When I use the password I use for login, it tells me that its the
> > wrong one !
> >
> > Whilst I can get at the files I want from the other installed
> > system (SuSE)  It doesn't help someone who only has Wins and
> > Kunbunto.  ie a new user !
> >
> > The "Help system" isn't much use either !  Being pointed to the
> > "Man Pages"  makes it obvious that the root password is needed !
> >

> > --
> > Best Regards:
> >      Derrick.

> hmm strange..
>
> I have two questions
> 1) did it prompt you for a password?

If you are referring to "su" Yes !

> 2) was the error report in the form?
> "sudo: <someting else here>: command not found"

No !  "sudo  command not found"  (then as below)

> As for the 'su' thing not working, this is because ubuntu variants
> tend to either:
> a) Not set a password for root by default, in which case you would
> have to set a password for the root account by using
> $ sudo passwd

How ?  "$sudo" command not found !!
I tried  "$sudo test"
I get "$sudo test  command not found"

> b) The kubuntu version you installed doesnt create a root account in
> first place.. which could be the case if you've just performed a
> fresh install of one of the newer releases

Yes I did an install from one of the "Kunbunto" Cd's that came in the
post yesterday. Version 6.06

The issue for me is that, I have installed Kunbunto along side my SuSE
on my machine without a problem !  I am expected to install it for a
client alongside Win XP !

A second install on a machine that has Win XP on it as well shows a
similar behaviour, in addition to not allowing Kunbunto to move files
to the Wins partition !

--
Best Regards:
     Derrick.