[YLUG] Kunbunto

Simon Alman haven at thehavennet.org.uk
Wed Sep 13 17:05:32 BST 2006

Gaffer wrote:

> Yes thats what I thought !
>
> I tried sudo and get "Command not found" !   So I tried "su" !
> When I use the password I use for login, it tells me that its the
> wrong one !
>
> Whilst I can get at the files I want from the other installed
> system (SuSE)  It doesn't help someone who only has Wins and
> Kunbunto.  ie a new user !
>
> The "Help system" isn't much use either !  Being pointed to the
> "Man Pages"  makes it obvious that the root password is needed !
Root has no password by default in kubuntu/edubuntu or ubuntu.

The su command cannot be used until you set a root password. To do so
type:

sudo passwd root

Once this is done then you can 'su'.

Alternatively if you just want to be acting as root without setting a
password type:

sudo /bin/bash
<supply your main user password>

At this point you will be in a bash shell with root privelages and can
pretty much do what you want.

Regards

Simon