[YLUG] Yet more stuff ;)

Nicholas Thomas lupine at yorkshire-pagans.org.uk
Sat Sep 16 08:04:24 BST 2006

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone would be interested in taking an SBC off my
hands for me. Specs follow:-

1,2 & 3) WRAP 1E-2 system board (266MHz/128MB RAM) + case (silver
aluminium) + PSU - £130 new.
4) Kingston 256MB CF Card (used as a hard drive by the above) - £12 new.
5) Gigabyte/Atheros (madwifi-ng) miniPCI WLAN card, capable of master/AP
mode. £25 new.
6) 2x Laptop-style U.FL antennae for the above - £10 new

Some links:-
1) http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=885
2) http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=886
3) http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=887
4) http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=275
5)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Atheros-GIGABYTE-GN-WIAG02-MiniPci-802-11g-108-Mbit_W0QQitemZ9728962175QQihZ008QQ

The site for the PC-Engines board itself is http://www.pcengines.ch/wrap.htm

All the bits work together amazingly well, and I've been using it as a
hardware firewall + wireless access point + router for several months
without a single hitch, using AspisOS:- http://www.aspisos.org/ ...
however, it runs on any OS which is capable of a headless boot (so
basically all NIXes ;) ). No moving parts at all - not even a fan - so
it's really quiet and reliable. Only reason I'm getting rid of it is
because changing circumstances mean that I'm skint, and it's become
useless to me, at the same time (by the looks of things, I'll soon be
moving somewhere else, and I doubt I'll be making use of it there).

The laptop antennae are the only real downside - getting the proper
pigtail and antenna was proving incredibly difficult (they have them on
the LinITX site now, but out of stock atm), so I just grabbed the first
U.FL antennae I could find. They work well enough, but there's room for
improvement there ;).

If you're not into wireless lan, the miniPCI slot takes pretty much
everything (except for ADSL modems - yet! Broadcom have a chipset, but
no products have been released based on it so far...)... so this could
just as easily be a mini-web server, something VoIP related, a RADIUS,
DNS, <insert-service-here> server... add a 4-port Ethernet card and have
7 10/100 ports in total... whatever tickles your fancy, really ;). The
board has a serial port (I'll even throw the null-modem cable in -
nowhere in York sells them!), and I've booted it from GRUB, with output
to serial console without any problems - I'd imagine other bootloaders
would work just as well. The BIOS outputs to the console as well, so
it's really quite handy.

Any sensible offers :) - it's basically a "lightly-used" item; 40-50% of
original price? Let me know what you're prepared to pay for it :). If
none of you lot want it, it'll probably end up on eBay. Can be picked up
or posted - the whole package is very small. Cash, PayPal, cheque... I'm
not fussy :)

xF,

...Nick