[YLUG] Article `Why we can't win the "war on terror"` and letter

Charles Forsyth forsyth at terzarima.net
Thu Sep 21 23:21:03 BST 2006

>   Well, I'm still waiting for someone to suggest that the recent spate
> of exploding laptops[1] is due to an al-Qaeda infiltration of Sony's
> battery making plant :-)

for a recent flight i wondered whether it would be better simply to
pack the battery and rely on the power at the seat, not least because
the laptop is much lighter without the battery. i worried, however, that as in
the past someone (usually in the US but sometimes here) would ask me
to power up the machine, so i kept the battery weight (and they didn't ask).

mind you, once they did ask, i pushed the power button and ... nothing happened.
``oh, it's dead'', i said.  they said: ``ok, go ahead!''.