[YLUG] gpg signatures

Al Girling al at gcguk.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 29 14:39:36 BST 2006

Arthur Clune wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2006, at 14:01, Al Girling wrote:
>
> >Arthur Clune wrote:

> >Surely the keys Stephen listed are simply without an expiry date set.
> >

> I didn't write that. Stephen did.

Sorry if I made it appear as if you had.  The correct attribution had
been stripped earlier in the thread.  I nearly added it again manually,
but thought my sentence made it clear I was commenting on something
Stephen had said.

> >>I don't have your (Stephen's) key and it's not on the keyserver.
> >
> >I've just imported Stephen's key from hkp://subkeys.pgp.net OK
> >

> $ gpg --recv-key
> 0x5950E716B416F0DE                                       13:58:42
> gpg: requesting key B416F0DE from hkp server wwwkeys.pgp.net
> gpgkeys: key 5950E716B416F0DE not found on keyserver
> gpg: no valid OpenPGP data found.
> gpg: Total number processed: 0

How about trying another keyserver?

> >>Jan's email show as bad signature for me.
> >
> >All these show as Good Signatures for me.
>
> rode:~/Desktop 555: gpg --verify mime-attachment ~/Desktop/
> signatures2.rtfd/TXT.rtf                    14:04:55
> gpg: Signature made Fri Sep 29 12:28:17 2006 BST using DSA key ID
> 5BC905EC
> gpg: BAD signature from "Jan Tobias Muehlberg <muehlber at fh-
> brandenburg.de>"
> rode:~/Desktop 556:
>
> That's what my mail client thinks as well. Odd.
>
> So that's two people that see it as broken? And two that see it as fine?

I'm clutching at straws here as I'm no expert on the subject, but could
it be the server wwwkeys.pgp.net having problems?  I presume it's the
server used during your verifying process.  Or is it all done locally?
I've know idea which keyserver Stephen uses, but if not wwwkeys.pgp.net
then it'd rule that out for sure.

Al

--
Al Girling