[YLUG] Open Source Router

Gavin Atkinson gavin.atkinson at ury.york.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 10:01:41 BST 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 22:36 +0100, Arturo Servin wrote:
>     I need to developt a small network to test part of my research. I
> need an open source router, NIDS and HIDS. For the NIDS I will use Snort
> and for the HIDS OSSEC. For the router I was planning to use Zebra but I
> also find some info about Viatta and XORP. Basically what I need is
> basic routing functionality (static router and maybe OSPF/RIP), flow
> information (as Cisco and Juniper), queiueing capabilities (such as
> rate-limiting) and Linux support.

XORP is very good, but I've only used it from the live CD before, so I
don't know how well it works under various Linux distros.  I believe
Vyatta uses XORP under the surface, too.  Zebra is dead, Quagga has
replaced it.  From your list of requirements, I suspect that getting
flow information won't be standard with any of your suggestions, but can
be configured easily using sflowtools.

Gavin