[YLUG] Grub

john halewood john.halewood at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 15:21:32 GMT 2007

> It hard to say, because I do not have any tracking. It says Panic !!
> I do not see anything in the /var/log/message or in dmesg
> Is there a way to get more information ?

If you're getting a kernel panic then it won't be able to write
anything into /var/log/messages or hold anything in the kernel ring
buffer (which is what dmesg reads and is lost at each startup). You
might be able to get further using sysrq. First you will need to
change the settings in /etc/sysctl.conf from kernel.sysrq=0 to
kernel.sysrq=1, and then read up on the use of sysrq (which can dump
information from a crashed kernel) to debug the information provided.
If it's a stock kernel from fedora (which it appears to be) then
unless you've done anything obviously wrong, such as installing a
kernel for the wrong architecture, then I'd file a bug with redhat and
see if it's a hardware/driver related problem.
For more information on sysrq, I'd suggest looking at the wikipedia
article, which gives you a good start, and then using your favourite
search engine to find more information. If you can get a stack trace
that will be useful to isolate the problem.

cheers
john