[YLUG] Grub

Alex Howells alex.howells at 0wn3d.us
Sun Dec 9 17:58:14 GMT 2007

On 09/12/2007, Mike Cohler <mike.cohler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/12/2007, Nicholas Thomas <nick at lupine.me.uk> wrote:
> >
> > Could be a specific hardware incompatibility/bug. .23 isn't a stable
> > release, after all. I would dump it and go back to the working kernel.
> >
> > yum install debootstrap is also cool... ;)
>
>  What makes you think that .23 is not stable?  In the old days odd kernel
> numbers did indicate this but for quite some time there has not been such a
> thing as stable and unstable kernels that are released. Unstable are .rcn

It's been publicly discussed on LKML that Linus doesn't consider odd
numbered releases in the 2.6.x branch to be "stable" - they are used
to introduce new features, which developers then try to iron out bugs
with for the next release.

Not sure if that's 100% gospel though, I know for fact that hardened
kernels with grSecurity + PaX sucked on 2.6.22 ;)