[YLUG] Grub

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 19:08:29 GMT 2007

On 10/12/2007, Dr P Dupre <pd520 at york.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> At the boot of the new kernel, I get:
> Setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or device
> Setuproot: error mounting /proc:  No such file or device
> Setuproot: error mounting /sys:  No such file or device
> error opening /dev/console
> Trying use fd 0 instead
> warning can't access (null)
> exec of init (null failed !!! Bad address
> Kernel panic not syncing: Attempted to kill init

My feeling here is that the system cannot cope with only 256MB of ram
- did you install off a livecd? I seem to remember that a normal
install off the DVD is not possible with 256MB ram, even though the
release notes would suggest you could!

Either way I think the previous suggestion stands - try to get your
total ram over 512MB and try again. Also you might try a memory test
using the install CD - memtest86 will show if there are any memory
errors.

Not sure I could give any more useful info at this point.
--
mike