[YLUG] Summer socials, other planning

Nicholas Thomas nick at lupine.me.uk
Fri Jul 27 14:55:17 BST 2007

On Friday 27 July 2007 13:03, Richard Birnie wrote:
> On Friday 27 July 2007 12:53:26 Zoe Stephenson wrote:
> > >
> > > I thought they used slackware. if so wouldn't it be
> > > KDE only? Unless they put GNOME on them for some
> > > reason.
> >
> > I am at my work computer in Computer Science, and it runs GNOME.  I
> > also have the option of many other environments - xfce, KDE, fvwm, lwm,
> > there's about a dozen options.  I guess we have a diverse crowd here.
> > I would be surprised if it were much different for the students.
> >
> > /me waves to the guys across the corridor, who I'm pretty sure are on
> > the list and organise all the department's Linux - comments?  Do we
> > know what Linux exposure students get in other departments?
>
> In the biology department very little at undergraduate level unless it's
> changed since I did my degree. Nick (either of them) or Roger would have
> better idea. The main computer labs are all XP and most of the research
> groups have Windows or OS X desktops. There are some fedora machines but I
> think they're more used by the research groups. In fact I think the person
> who administers them is on this list. Not sure what the bioinformatics
> masters people get exposed to.

Yep, no Linux for us poor Biology undergrads :/

We can get access to Tower/unix0 like anyone else, though, and if you root
around a bit there's cygwin and Exceed (Windows X server). I also got the
biolhelp guy - who's name I forget - to install the NX client on one of the
machines. Now I'm waiting for 64-bit support on the server end :)

/Nick