[YLUG] Free the BBC!

Noah Slater nslater at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 15:39:16 BST 2007

> I'll stay out the DRM debate, but if you think this is really how
> democracy works, I've got news for you. And this is probably a good
> thing or we'd have hanging and a whole bunch of similar stuff.

Actually, this is exactly how democracy works.

Maybe you are confusing your sense of frustration at only being a
small part of a much larger process and hence not having any notable
sway.

Hanging was abolished in 1965 with the Murder (Abolition of Death
Penalty) Act which was voted for by ministers elected through a
democracy.

The common view of (our) government as some totalitarian organisation
that does as it pleases is completely bogus. While there are many
things that the government (any government)does that I or you may not
like - the unfortunate fact is that there is usually another group of
people who do.

Democracy works, very well. All you need to do is take part in it a
little more to see that that is the case. When democracy doesn't work
as it's supposed to do there is public outcry and things change or
people die. [1]

Anyway... this is quite off topic - any more discussion about how
democracy works could potentially lead to the fulfilment of Godwin's
Law. And we don't want that, now do we kids?

Best,

Noah
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Revolution

--
"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman