[YLUG] Re: Democracy (now on topic) [was: Free the BBC!]

Stephen Patterson steve at patter.mine.nu
Tue Jun 12 21:36:19 BST 2007

On 12 Jun 07, Robert Hulme (rob at robhulme.com) wrote:
> >Cameron is now suggesting that a certain number of signatures to an e-
> >petition should automatically trigger a debate in parliament on the
> >issue, followed by a vote. If this proposal were introduced, it would
> >hard-wire e-democracy into Britain's constitution."
> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/12/william_davies_epetitions/
> That's a brilliant idea. Soon parliamentary debate will dominated by
> discussions about juggling ice cream!

Though if petitions are actually going to be used rather than the
current "we listened but had already made the decision" stance of the
present incumbents, this can only be a good thing.

You can either have democracy or not, you can't just have a little
democracy for where do you draw the line?

--
Stephen Patterson :: steve at patter.mine.nu :: http://patter.mine.nu/
GPG: B416F0DE :: Jabber: patter at jabber.earth.li
"Don't be silly, Minnie. Who'd be walking round these cliffs with a gas oven?"