[YLUG] ADSL recommendations?

Paul Gibbs paul-listmonkey at pacem.plus.com
Tue Jun 26 16:59:13 BST 2007

Robert Hulme wrote:
> I'm moving to a new area ( CB22 3SZ )
> http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange.php?ecode=EASST
>
> Which means I'm leaving the lovely warm glow of Bulldog unlimited
> 8mbps to the horrors of only:
> BT Wholesale ADSL
> BT Wholesale ADSL Max
>
> In #ylug Ewan suggested UKFSN MAX 30
> (http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/maxallowance.html)
> Which is 30 GB on peak, 300 GB off peak for £19.99/month (+ BT line
> rental of course)
>
> Another option is Virgin Broadband (I think the house already has
> Virgin cable):
> http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2
>
> Can anyone beat those? Recommend anything?
>
> I'm not really sure how much bw I use. I guess it varies a lot.
> Definitely < 100GB / month though.
>
> -Rob

Well in slight fear of starting a traffic shaping argument I'd recommend
PlusNet. Their traffic shaping means I get much better browsing
experience than friends with similar connections on other provides.

If you want to do VoIP then PN is the only one I've seen with a
consistent jitter of < 10ms.

Their PAYG scheem also means that if you don't use much you don't pay
much. All my downloads are done in free time at night so I only use 1GB
during peek hours and for that I only have to pay £9.99 and I still get
PHP/mySQL, ssh access etc...

(and if you type "pacem" in their who recommended you box I get a
further discount per month.)
Paul.<><