[YLUG] VOIP as your main phone... feasible? Recommendations?

adam.beaumont at uk.aql.com adam.beaumont at uk.aql.com
Tue Jun 26 18:01:28 BST 2007

Hi Rob,

This is both a shameless plug of our services, but also hopefully an
attempt to help !

Voip is good if you don't want to call 999 when your power is off ..
Thats the main point of difference.

Also - bear in mind quality is directly related to how "good" your
internet connection is - Other than that, as long as you're not
running any peer to peer bandwidth hogging stuff - it should be fine
for a couple of simultaneous calls on the average dsl line.

shameless mention of url - http://aql.com/telecoms  - we have over
9 million geo numbers - including cool ones - at £2/month

shameless mention of  - full refund, no questions, if not happy.

we can also set you up with an IAX or SIP account for your
asterisk box.... so you can have hours of fun.  the aql guys are well
clued up on asterisk, so they can give you pointers if you get stuck.

kr

Adam

On 26 Jun 2007, at 17:27, Robert Hulme wrote:

> I realise it's probably not cost effective to do so, but does anyone
> have any experience of using a VOIP phone system instead of PSTN?
>
> I like the idea of using Asterisk to do all kinds of clever things,
> but in reality I'd probably want to go out any buy a cordless phone
> with built in support.
>
> Anyone tried this? Any recommendations for software / hardware?
>
> -Rob
>
> --
> http://www.robhulme.com/
> http://robhu.livejournal.com/
>
> Premature optimization is the root of all evil (or at least most of
> it) in programming.
> -- Donald Knuth

Dr Adam Beaumont
Winner - Best Innovation
Winner - Best Mobile Technology
Winner - Best of Best
(Newsco Internet Awards 2007)

"The service has been perfect."
BSI Inspectorate ltd

"really really really useful. easy to use and reduces manpower."
Fortnums

"without a shadow of a doubt...excellent"
Ruella James Plc
(aq) Limited
13-15 Hunslet Road Leeds LS10 1JQ
194 Harrogate Road Leeds LS7 4NZ
Registered in England and Wales 3663860
http://www.aql.com
Sales: 08707 449227
Fax: 08707 449228
PGP public key http://aql.co.uk/A-Q.txt
Subject to our standard terms, found at
http://aql.com/site/termsofservice.php

CONFIDENTIALITY

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the addressees named
above and may be confidential or legally privileged.
If you are not an addressee you must not read it and must not use
any information contained in nor copy it nor inform any person other
than (aq) limited or the addressees of its existence or contents.
If you have received this email and are not a named addressee, please
delete it and notify the (aq) limited customer service department via
admin at a-q.co.uk. Many thanks.