[YLUG] Dynamic DNS

ekes ekes at aktivix.org
Thu Jun 28 22:41:03 BST 2007

Never had to deal with non-static IP addresses before. But I'm
relocating to nowhere and have a couple of machines that were behind my
adsl line and are probably going to go behind friends cheopo ADSL/Cable
lines.

Decision is it better to use DynDNS or better to set up some system myself?

Anyone got experience of DynDNS how is it? Is it best to just CNAME some
of their domains? Or set up a system to do it myself?
I run the DNS on domains (and could do so from properly hosted machines
in various locations), so I suppose it is an option to set something up
myself. Drop the TTL on a domain stupidly? Set up a cron job on machines
to check IP....?

The intention is to move behind non-static IPs (temporarily) an Asterisk
box, and (permanently) an apache box that mainly does development sites.

Thoughts, opinions appreciated,

ekes

BTW I'm also chucking out a stack of reclaimed/old/ancient kit before I
move if anyone is as sad as me, or does support on old stuff, I figured
the best way was to do something on the freecycle (uck) yahoogroup.