[YLUG] Converting EMF graphics to a better format

Zoe Stephenson zrs1 at york.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 00:35:42 GMT 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 09:30:57PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Arthur Clune <arthur at clune.org> writes:
>
> > On 19 Mar 2007, at 17:15, Roger Leigh wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone know of a way of converting files in EMF format
> >
> > I had this problem a while back - in the end I got someone with Adobe
> > Illustrator to do it. See thread 'Vector Graphics Question' from
> > October last year.
>
> Thanks.  I need to find someone with a copy of Illustrator then!
>
> > jpeg2eps was suggested which might be fine for you if all you need
> > is a flat image. I needed the vector info preserved properly so it
> > didn't work for me.
>
> Converting it into a raster is not a problem, but like you I need it
> as a vector.

I spent a couple of hours this evening reading documentation at

  http://wvware.sourceforge.net/caolan/ora-wmf.html

about the EMF format and writing a quick hack of a program to decode
the basic structure of the file.  I found three example EMF files at
work, all created from Visio, and I was able to decode the structure
successfully.  To take this further, I'd have to find out more about
the GDI - so I'm looking for documentation for the GDI from which I
can derive a translator for the format.  Can someone more knowledgable
tell me whether the MSDN terms and conditions allow this for the GDI
reference they have there?  Their terms are at:

  http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.mspx

--
 -- zoe  - even though I already have far too many projects on the go...