[YLUG] Handling OOXML

john halewood john.halewood at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 00:37:44 GMT 2007

On 31/10/2007, Arthur Clune <arthur at cluneg> wrote:
> ISTR that I had heard that when you unpack the OOXML
> archive there's a old-style office copy in there.
>
> I have no idea if this is urban myth or not.

AFAICT OOXML (way too many acronyms there) is basically an XML wrapper
around a binary blob of M$ data. Hoever I'm not sure if the Office
2007 binary format is compaible with OpenOffice/previous MS versions
etc. There is a sourceforge porject to convert OOXL to ODF, but it's
sponsoered by Microserf and only seems to support word, sio I wouldn't
trust it much further than I could throw a Sun E10K. If all else
fails, I'd suggest using a large lump of wood with a couple of rusty
nails  in it to solve the problem (i.e. the user). I've got a spare
one next to my desk at work if you need it (the other one's used to
keep the plebs in line).

cheers
john