[YLUG] Handling OOXML

Mike Cohler mike.cohler at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 15:39:50 GMT 2007

There is a compatibility pack available which will allow the new
format files to be opened in earlier versions of Word at
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466&displaylang=en

If you run MS Office under wine (or better under Crossover - see
http://www.codeweavers.com/ ) then it is possible that you could
install the compatibility pack and run this under Linux via one of
these routes... though you still need a licenced copy of MS Office to
run it this way (I have not tried this though)

Once you can import the files then from within Word XP you could save
it as a normal .doc file and then open that in OpenOffice... though I
have not tried this even though I have been running a licenced copy of
MS Office XP in Crossover for some years.

Even if you are not running MS Office in Linux then you can, if you
are desperate, always open the new format file within MS Office XP
with the compatibility addition in a machine "temporarily" running a
Microsoft OS (forgive the bad language here!) rather than Linux...

Just a suggestion.

Mike

On 01/11/2007, Arthur Clune <arthur at clune.org> wrote:

> On 31 Oct 2007, at 19:04, Arthur Clune wrote:
>
> > ISTR that I had heard that when you unpack the OOXML
> > archive there's a old-style office copy in there.
> >
> > I have no idea if this is urban myth or not.
>
> Looks like it is:
>
> rode:~/Desktop/fred 517: unzip
> work.docx                                                      13:39:56
> Archive:  work.docx
>    inflating: [Content_Types].xml
>    inflating: _rels/.rels
>    inflating: word/_rels/document.xml.rels